Runes are some of the most fun and potent upgrades in Doom; you eventually get three slots to equip these permanent perks, which can affect everything from ammo to movement. There are 12 in all, and to activate each one you'll need to complete a particular challenge, such as killing a certain number of a certain kind of enemy with a certain weapon. Before you can do that, though, you'll need to find the Runes themselves, and the locations of all 12 are listed below.
If you're interested in other hidden things, our Doom secrets and collectibles guide can help.
Doom - Rune locations: Where to find all Rune Trials for permanent perks
Level 4: Argent Facility
- Vacuum: After passing through the airlock, drop through the broken railings to the left and follow the trail of green lights up and around some platforms to find this.
- Dazed and Confused: After destroying the third Argent filter, you'll pass through a chilly hangar with a couple of large transport vehicles ahead and to the right of where you enter. Head to the left of the furthest one and climb onto it to find this trial.
Level 5: Argent Energy Tower
- Ammo Boost: After collecting the jump boots, exit the room and turn right. Climb onto the crate in the alcove and double-jump across the gap to the ledge above.
- Equipment Power: When you reach the upper level of the tower (after the ride up on the circular things that spit out red lightning) you'll come across another rotating battery track. Follow it to the forcefield, then double-jump up through the opening and into the interior of the tower, and then turn left to jump across to the Rune.
Level 6: Kadingir Sanctum
- Savagery: After collecting the yellow skull, jump to the small floating rock and then across to the ledge, and the rune is along the corridor.
- Seek and Destroy: After opening the blue door and then the large door you'll end up in an arena with pools of blood in the area below. Once it's clear, head to the steps opposite and turn left instead of climbing them, and the rune is down the passageway.
Level 7: Argent Facility (Destroyed)
- In-Flight Mobility: After a fight in the lower area just below the security station you can see the Rune on a rocky ledge to the left of the station doors above. Jump on the nearby crates to reach it.
- Armored Offensive: After exiting the cargo area (where the drone was) turn left and follow the walkway to the end. Jump across to the walkway below and follow it to the right to find the Rune.
Interested in other Doom secrets and collectibles? These pages may help:
- Doom - Classic level locations: Where to find all classic Doom and Doom 2-inspired areas
- Doom - Doomguy model locations: Where to find all 26 figurines
- Doom - Weapon Mod locations: Where to find all the Field Drones
- Doom - Elite Guard locations: Where to find all Praetor Tokens
- Doom - Rune locations: Where to find all Rune Trials for permanent perks
- Doom - Argent Cell locations: How to increase your health, armour and ammo capacity
- Doom - Automap Station locations: How to complete your minimap
- Doom - Hidden weapon locations and data log locations
Level 8: Advanced Research Complex
- Blood Fueled: After disabling the cargo access gate forcefield, head through the airlock to its left and the rune is behind a crate inside.
- Intimacy is Best: After picking up the BFG and activating the Lazarus Elevator, head in to Testing Chamber 1. On the left is a narrow gap in the wall, and the rune is at the end of the passageway.
Level 9: Lazarus Labs
- Rich Get Richer: At the top of the stairs at the end of the horseshoe-shaped corridor, there's a hatch in the floor. Kick it out and drop in, head down the narrow crawlspace, and jump up through the hatch at the far end.
- Saving Throw: Once you've activated the Energy Refractor and headed through the doors, turn right and into a small room. To the left of the entrance there's a gap in the wall you can climb through, and the rune is in a room below.