Zelda: Breath of the Wild's Shrines are small puzzle rooms that are scattered throughout the game's world.
Introduced at the start of the game as a means to unlock Runes - special abilities Link can use to manipulate objects to solve puzzles - they later reward Link with Spirit Orbs, which can be traded in for permanent Stamina and Heart Container or Heart Piece upgrades.
While considered optional, visiting them will make your quest go much smoother, and are home to some of the best challenges in the game - so be sure to take the time to visit as many as you can.
On a related note, if you happen to be a massive Zelda fan you may want to check out the guide to the best Zelda gifts and merchandise - including hoodies, Zelda Monopoly, trinkets, and other awesome stuff over at our sister-site Jelly Deals.
Shrine locations in Zelda: Breath of the Wild
There are many Shrines throughout the game (over 100!) with most regions containing a handful each. You can spot them from a distance by their characteristic red glow - similar to the Towers that sprout up throughout the land, but closer to the ground.
Of course, some are harder to find than others, and accessing them can prove to be a puzzle within itself.
Furthermore, each one will reward a Spirit Orb by their conclusion - used to trade for permanent Heart Containers and Stamina upgrades, which you can read about later in this article - as well as bonus Treasure, some of which is exclusive.
Here's the ones we've found so far - expect updates to this in the coming weeks as we explore Hyrule's massive world.
Great Plateau region:
- Oman Au Shrine and Magnesis Trial solution
- Keh Nanut Shrine, Cryonis Trial, River of the Dead
- Ja Baij Shrine location and Bomb Trial solution
- Owa Daim Shrine and Stasis Trial solution
Dueling Peaks region:
- Bosh Kala Shrine and The Wind Guides You trial solution
- Hila Rao Shrine and Drifting trial solution
- Rahee Dee Shrine and Timing is Critical trial solution
- Shee Vaneer Shrine, Shee Venath shrine, and Twin Memories trial solution
- Ta'loh Naeg Shrine and Ta'loh Naeg's Teaching trial solution
- Ha Dahamar Shrine and The Water Guides trial solution
- Toto Sah Shrine and Toto Sah Apparatus trial solution
- Lakna Rokee Shrine location, Stolen Heirloom Shrine Quest, Flown the Coop
- Myahm Agana Shrine and Myahm Agana Apparatus trial solution
- Tahno O'ah Shrine and Secret of the Cedars Shrine Quest solution
- Jitam Sa'Mi Shrine on Mount Lanayru, free Naydra and Spring of Wisdom Shrine Quest
- Kam Urog Shrine, Cursed Statue Shrine Quest and Trial of Passage solution
- Dow Na'eh Shrine and The Three Boxes Trial solution
- Mezza Lo Shrine, Crowned Beast Shrine Quest and the Ancient Trifecta trial solution
- Chaas Qeta Shrine location and A Major Test of Strength trial solution
- Soh Kofi Shrine location and A Minor Test of Strength trial solution
- Sheh Rata Shrine, how to clear the thistles, and Speed of Light trial solution
- Kaya Wan Shrine and Shields From Water trial solution
- Daka Tuss Shrine and Sunken Scoop trial solution
- Ne'ez Yohma Shrine and Pushing Power trial solution
- Rucco Maag Shrine and Five Torches trial solution
- Muwo Jeem Shrine location and A Modest Test of Strength trial solution
- Shai Utoh Shrine and Halt the Tilt trial solution
Eldin and Death Mountain region:
- Mo'a Keet Shrine, Metal Makes a Path trial near Foothill Stable
- Qua Raym Shrine, A Balanced Approach trial solution
- Shae Mo'sah Shrine and Swinging Flames solution
- Daqa Koh Shrine and Stalled Flight trial
- Shora Hah Shrine location and Blue Flame trial solution
- Keo Ruug Shrine and Fateful Stars trial solution
- Mirro Shaz Shrine and Tempered Power trial solution
- Jee Noh Shrine and One the Move trial solution
- Daqo Chisay Shrine and The Whole Picture trial solution
- Ishto Soh Shrine and Bravery's Grasp trial solution
- Ya Naga Shrine and Shatter the Heavens trial solution
- Wahgo Katta Shrine and Metal Connections trial solution
- Rota Ooh Shrine and Passing of the Gates trial solution
- Kaam Ya'tak Shrine and Trial of Power solution
How to trade Spirit Orbs for Heart Containers
Although you can cook new recipes to give you temporary Heart Containers and Stamina boosts, by collecting Spirit Orbs you can increase their gauges.
Some villages will have a statue you can pray at, such as Kakariko Village, so warp to your favourite and visit and you'll be given the option to upgrade either.
Thankfully, the choice isn't permanent. There is a special statue at Hateno Village that can allow you to transfer your Hearts to Stamina, and vise versa, at a 20 Rupee cost.
This is particularly useful when it comes to collecting the Master Sword, which requires a certain number of Hearts, and so transferring your spare Stamina - even temporarily - over to your Heart gauge can come in useful.
You can also get a Heart Container from completing each of the four Divine Beasts, so playing just these main quests will give you upgrades too.
Want more help? Our Zelda: Breath of the Wild walkthrough and guide provides in-progress steps to completing the game's main quests - including Divine Beasts Vah Ruta, Vah Rudiana, Vah Medoh and Vah Naboris - as well as how to find the Master Sword, Hylian Shield and all Captured Memories locations and Great Fairy Fountain locations, while our ongoing Shrines of Trials hub explains where to find and solve the game's many puzzle rooms. We also have advice on how to beat Guardians, where to get easy Rupees, tame horses, find how to get cold resistance, fire resistance and heat resistance, and learn the most effective means of cooking with ingredients for bonus effects.
Other things to know about Shrines of Trials in Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Shrines have three colour schemes available. Pure red means it's unvisited and unsolved; half blue and half red means it's visited and an active fast travel point, but unsolved (which is usefully represented on the map) and pure blue is visited and completed.
- Beyond giving you a Spirit Orb, the best reason to visit a Shrine is to add it as a fast travel location on your map. Even if you don't finish the Shrine - maybe you don't fancy doing it there and then, or can't work out its solution - going in and out will add it to your map regardless, so always pay a visit whenever you see one.
- As well as a Spirit Orb or Rune to collect, there is usually a treasure chest to find along the way. These tend to be just off the beaten path, so keep an eye out for distant platforms and other routes to take as you are exploring.
- Some Shrines have Shrine Quests attached. In most cases you'll need to start and complete these in order to start the Shrine, and we'll discuss these within each individual Shrine page.