Space Hulk: Deathwing came out in December 2016 and while I enjoyed it, it was pretty rough around the edges, with a number of technical issues and a lack of variation hindering what was on the whole a solid effort at bringing the Space Hulk tabletop to life in video game form.
The developer Streum On Studio has since then released a number of updates for the game, but the most recent is by far the most substantial. It adds new weapons, expanded class loadouts and makes a raft of technical improvements.
Let's dig into the detail. Co-op multiplayer now has the Heavy Flamer weapon and the Hellfire's explosive rounds, which should help make tearing apart the Genestealers a more enjoyable experience.
There are also faster load times and performance improvements, with Genestealer AI enhanced (the AI had felt a tad basic in the game, with not much variation to enemy strategy).
"Our first priority after the release was to fix the most urgent technical issues," the developer said in a post on the Space Hulk: Deathwing Steam page. "That's why the main changes of this patch are technical fixes - we updated the graphical engine and rebuilt all the levels."
Here is a short list of features and improvements of the update:
- More weapons in Multiplayer - this includes the addition of the Heavy Flamer and Hellfire.
- Expanded class loadouts in Multiplayer - each class has more choice of what to bring into battle!
- Improved multiplayer load times - simultaneous loading time for all players.
- Performance improvements.
- Loading time improvements.
- General stability improvements.
- Multiplayer experience improvements.
- Improved Anti-Aliasing options.
- Hardware-related issues Fixes (on AMD GC).
There's still a long way to go for Space Hulk: Deathwing. I would like to see some more weapons added to single-player and perhaps better loot to arm your AI Terminators with. Streum On Studio said it'll now focus on improving gameplay and content based on feedback since launch - "replay value and multiplayer long term progression are our main priorities". Fingers crossed!
Space Hulk: Deathwing is due out on consoles later this year as an enhanced edition that includes additional gubbins. This will be give to PC players for free in an update.