You're given several means of transportation in Final Fantasy 15's sizeable open world - such as by road on your trusty Regalia to Chocobos - but you can also go by air, too.
Unlike airships in other games in the series, the Final Fantasy 15 flying car Regalia Type F is an entirely optional find, so you could easily miss it if you're going for the story alone.
It's a late game find, but makes going back to previous areas all the more enjoyable.
In the meantime, you'll have to continue exploring by ground, though we can save you some time with an infinite sprint trick that should speed up any hunts and other activities.
How to unlock the Regalia Type F flying car in Final Fantasy 15
To unlock the Regalia Type F, you have to clear out three Imperial bases. Two of these are integral to completing the game's main story - so play through them, building up your party's experience and AP which will come in handy for the third base - to receive two key items, the Warped Wings and Unstable Stabliser.
You then need a third component, the Strange Engine, which you can procure from Formouth Garrison. You should get a side-quest alerting you to this base after completing the others, but it's also said you can approach it directly to also gain access.
The base is optional and very challenging, and we'd argue you should go in above the game's recommendation to take it on at level 46, perhaps after finishing the main storyline.
It culminates in two giant mech battles, and though you can cheese it with gun turrets (see the above embedded video to see what we mean) it pays to come back with a high level squad.
Once you've cleared it, take the Strange Engine and other two previously collected key items to trusty mechanic Cindy, who will upgrade you party with the flying car. Off you go!
Need more help? Our Final Fantasy 15 guide and walkthrough can provide tips on the open-world's many quests and activities. Learning how to get AP fast, EXP fast and Gil fast in Final Fantasy 15 will aid you in the many optional dungeons and tombs - including how to open and explore their locked doors. And if you want to get around easier, you can rent a Chocobo, learn the infinite sprint trick and later in the game, get the flying car Regalia Type F.
What else you need to know about the Regalia Type F flying car in Final Fantasy 15
- To take off, once you reach a certain speed press the Circle / B button.
- While you're free to fly through the air, you unfortunately cannot go out to sea and explore what's on the horizon. Additionally, you can only land it back on roads, restricting it in the same way as the existing Regalia.
- While we don't have specifics, it's suggested the vehicle is used to access secret late-game areas, which we'll update you with when we know more.
- A benefit of the Regalia Type F is you no longer need to refuel it.
- Once you unlock it, you receive the Regalia Pilot Achievement / Trophy for your trouble.