Final Fantasy 15's Chocobos become pretty much essential as you start to seriously explore the game's open world. While the trusted Regelia will help you get from major location to location, and the infinite sprint trick will help you cover ground in the short term, if you want to seriously get out into the wilderness at once pace - while being able to avoid enemies easier at the same time - we'd recommend renting a Chocobo.
Once you've unlocked it, it's not just a mode of transport either, allowing you to participate in Chocobo Racing, allowing you to customise it with new colours and medals for you and your teammates.
How to unlock the Chocobo rent quest in Final Fantasy 15
When you enter Duscae for the first time at the start of Chapter 3, you'll pull into Coernix Station - Alstor, and Prompto will alert you to a side-quest named Friends of a Feather. It's this quest that'll see you take on a challenging hunt against Deadeye, A Behemoth Undertaking, which will unlock the ability to ride Chocobos.
From there, you'll be given the Chocobo Whistle, allowing you to call a Chocobo you have rented to your location. To rent a Chocobo, go to an outpost and find the Rent-A-Bird kiosk (it's a Chocobo on the mini-map, and a small yellow and blue terminal usually next to a diner or mechanics) and pay 50 Gil a day.
For the duration of your rental, the Chocobo will be at your calling whenever you use the whistle by pressing R2 / right trigger, then using the D-pad left and right until the option appears. When it ends, you have to return to a kiosk and hand over more cash. If your allowance ends mid-ride, then the Chocobo will scarper off when you next disembark.
Chocobo skills and how to unlock them
As with many of the game's systems, the more you ride Chocobos the more they improve. While specific unlock rates are unknown (whether it's based on time or distance), in short, the more you use it from A to B, the faster things will drop, so call your ride whenever you can to reap the benefits.
Unlocks include mid-battle abilities through to increases in stamina bar, recovery rate, top speed and jump height.
|2||Dash de Chocobo ability, used to flee monsters|
|3||Increase stamina, speed|
|4||Kick de Chocobo ability, used to attack monsters in battle|
|5||Increase stamina, speed|
|6||Dance de Chocobo, used to buff party in battle|
|7||Increase stamina, jumping height|
|8||Rush de Chocobo, used to attack monsters in battle|
|9||Increase stamina, stamina recovery rate|
|10||Link de Chocobo, can perform Blindside attacks|
How to customise your Chocobo with new colours and medals
To customise any Chocobo your party will ride, head to the Chocobo Post in east Duscae and find the vendor (the green Chocobo on the mini-map).
There are a total of 30 colours to unlock, and you can get more by collecting Pears - which are hidden during Chocobo Races, which you can find the locations of in our Chocobo Racing page - and from specific quests from Wiz at the Chocobo Post after you've taken down Deadeye:
- Yellow - Automatically unlocked
- White - Automatically unlocked
- Green - Complete 'Where the Wild Chocobos Are' from Wiz
- Lime- Complete 'Where the Wild Chocobos Are' from Wiz
- Teal - Complete 'Where the Wild Chocobos Are' from Wiz
- Turquoise - Complete 'Where the Wild Chocobos Are' from Wiz
- Fuchsia - Complete 'Where the Wild Chocobos Are' from Wiz
- Ruby - Complete 'Where the Wild Chocobos Are' from Wiz
- Amber - Complete 'Chase That Chocobo!' from Wiz
- Honey - Complete 'Chase That Chocobo!' from Wiz
- Periwinkle - Complete 'Chase That Chocobo!' from Wiz
- Sapphire - Complete 'Chase That Chocobo!' from Wiz
- Royal Blue - Complete 'Chase That Chocobo!' from Wiz
- Mauve - Complete 'Chase That Chocobo!' from Wiz
- Violet - Complete 'Chase That Chocobo!' from Wiz
- Pale Gray - Complete 'Chase That Chocobo!' from Wiz
- Pale Purple - Complete 'Chase That Chocobo!' from Wiz
- Lemon - Cieldalaes Pear
- Chartreuse - Cieldalaes Pear
- Royal Blue - O 'Ghomoro Pear
- Indigo - O 'Ghomoro Pear
- Crimson - Xelphatol Pear
- Cinnabar - Xelphatol Pear
- Cerulean - Doman Pear
- Sky Blue - Doman Pear
- Emerald - Mamook Pear
- Seafoam - - Mamook Pear
- Pale Blue - Han Pear
- Pale Green - Han Pear
- Lavender - Val Pear
- Magenta - Val Pear
Need more help? Our Final Fantasy 15 guide and walkthrough can provide tips on the open-world's many quests and activities. Learning how to get AP fast, EXP fast and Gil fast in Final Fantasy 15 will aid you in the many optional dungeons and tombs - including how to open and explore their locked doors. And if you want to get around easier, you can rent a Chocobo, learn the infinite sprint trick and later in the game, get the flying car Regalia Type F.
Medals, meanwhile, are unlocked when you win each Chocobo Races. If you need strategies or advice, our Chocobo Racing page can help:
- Replica Medal - complete 'A Behemoth Undertaking' sidequest
- Rounsey Medal - win "Against Prompto'
- Destria Medal - win 'Against Gladio'
- Courser Medal - win 'Against Ignis'
- Fat Chocobo - win 'Full Field
- Long Course Medal - complete 'Chocobo Hoops: Rocky Road'
- Jennet Medal - 'win 'Against Iris'