UPDATE 16TH OCTOBER: Praise the Midi-chlorians! Aspyr has released another Knights of the Old Republic 2 patch on Steam. Its contents aren't as noteworthy as in the last patch but they're to be celebrated with Ewoks nonetheless.
- Added 20 user-generated achievements (see pinned thread for details)
- Fixed an issue with Pet Rock achievement not unlocking in TSLRCM
- Fixed a crash when adding more than five mods
- Fixed two issues tied to Mouse Look
- Fixed an issue with the controller menu appearing on top of dialog screens
- Fixed an issue with Kreia not disappearing properly on Korriban
- Fixed a shader issue causing NPC droid eyes to not be illuminated
- Fixed an issue with alternate dialog not appearing after multiple play-throughs
- Changed the behavior of the Light/Dark Side point achievements
- Fixed a crash connected to the M4-78 mod
- Fixed multiple issues with a spinning camera when certain third-party devices are connected
- Fixed multiple issues connected to DPI Scaling
- Fixed an issue with the screen being offset on high refresh-rate monitors
- Fixed an issue with sounds continuously repeating after moving away from the sound source
- Change to cloud-saves, automatically lower-casing files so they can be read on Linux
ORIGINAL STORY 21ST JULY: A significant patch has been released for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - The Sith Lords on Steam, more than 10 years after the game was released.
It adds Linux and Mac support, courtesy of Aspyr Media, as well as Steam Workshop support, Achievements, controller support, native widescreen resolution support, 5K resolution support and cloud saves.
Most importantly, Steam Workshop support means the revered The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod is available via Steam, now. This mod effectively finishes an unfinished game, in a development sense, restoring all the dormant content found on the game's disc. KOTOR2, developed by Obsidian and not BioWare, was diamond in the rough.
As a bonus, KOTOR2 is 25 per cent off on Steam, priced £5.24.
I'm rather fond of Knights of the Old Republic 2, and its fondness for the greyer areas between the iconic Dark and Light sides of the magical Force. There are some great characters in the game, especially the main baddies.
Zbigniew Staniewicz, a key part of The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod team, apparently knew about this patch and even made some suggestions for it. "I knew about it for couple of months now," he told me in an email this afternoon, "but I wasn't directly involved. I gave some feedback about achievements and our team made some suggestions about things that could be fixed, that we couldn't fix ourselves - Aspyr team had an advantage of working with game's source code. It's a very exciting news for all of us!"
I know Staniewicz because I roped him into recording a special Knights of the Old Republic 2 post-mortem podcast with me in 2013 - him and the Obsidian Entertainment people who made the game, that is. 'Save as' this link for an MP3 download, or stream the recording below.