Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has won over the generally shooter-shy Japanese public, debuting at the top of the country's weekly software chart.
The latest entry in Activision's FPS franchise sold 180,372 on PlayStation 3 to take the number one spot, with the Xbox 360 version selling an additional 30,467 copies in seventh place.
Last year's Black Ops also debuted at one in its first week, though sold 128,922 on PS3 and 30,279 on Xbox 360.
Elsewhere on this week's chart, Level-5/Studio Ghibli collaboration Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch entered at three, the PS3 SKU of Saints Row: The Third at five and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 at 10. Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary debuted in 15th, selling 13,106.
Last week's number one, Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Extend, fell to eighth place.
Here's the full chart, as reported by Andriasang:
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Square, PS3): 180,372 - NEW
- One Piece Gigant Battle! 2 (Namco Bandai, DS): 116,062 - NEW
- Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Level-5, PS3): 67,032 - NEW
- Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo, 3DS): 62,318 (Life to date: 499,250)
- Saints Row: The Third (THQ Japan, PS3): 36,222 - NEW
- Final Fantasy Type-0 (Square Enix, PSP): 30,543 (682,173)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Square Enix, Xbox 360): 30,467 - NEW
- Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Extend (Sega, PSP): 30,042 (214,715)
- Sengoku Basara 3 Utage (Capcom, PS3): 25,771 (149,968)
- Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Capcom, PS3): 22,436 - NEW
- Ore no Shi wo Koete Yuke (Sony, PSP): 21,497 (115,582)
- Poképark 2: Beyond the World (The Pokémon Company, Wii): 19,246 (55,031)
- Kirby's Adventure (Nintendo, Wii): 18,671 (236,039)
- Saints Row: The Third (THQ Japan, Xbox 360): 15,380 - NEW
- Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary (Microsoft, Xbox 360): 13,106 - NEW
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD (Konami, PS3): 12,721 (52,464)
- Just Dance Wii (Nintendo, Wii): 12,477 (216,255)
- PES 2012 (Konami, PSP): 9742 (69,362)
- Wii Party (Nintendo, Wii): 8559 (2,022,866)
- Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts, PS3): 8094 (150,265)
Over on the hardware chart, the 3DS continued to see strong sales at one, but both the PlayStation 3 and PSP recorded significant sales bumps in second and third.
- 3DS: 96,219 (Last week: 103,962)
- PlayStation 3: 41,069 (23,472)
- PSP: 40,085 (22,919)
- Wii: 13,613 (11,782)
- DSi XL: 1813 (1751)
- Xbox 360: 1763 (1531)
- PS2: 1291 (1294)
- DSi: 897 (909)
- DS Lite: 31 (20)