The PSP has narrowly missed retaking the weekly Japanese hardware crown just a month after the launch of the 3DS.
According to the latest Media Create data, as posted on Andriasang, the PSP sold 50,479 units last week compared to 50,710 3DS purchases. Nintendo's new console shifted 61,394 the week before, with its lifetime Japanese sales now sitting at 792,954.
The PlayStation 3 came in at third with 28,973, followed by the DS at 19,094 and Wii at 11,808. The Xbox 360 managed to bring in 1,963 new users.
Worrying figures for Nintendo. Supply issues are not to blame for the slump - the platform holder confirmed the system was in stock in Japanese stores when contacted by Eurogamer for clarification.
UK and US sales numbers for the 3DS aren't in yet, although Nintendo has claimed the new portable is its fastest selling handheld ever.
The PSP was up from 23,511 last week, with the release of Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection no doubt spurring the system on.
Square's repackaged RPG topped the software charts, selling 104,173 in its debut week. The rest of the top 10 looked like this:
- Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection (PSP, Square Enix): 104,173 / NEW
- Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3, Koei Tecmo): 36.548 / 357.113 (-46%)
- Gundam: The 3D Battle (3DS, Bandai Namco): 23.500 / NEW
- Dissidia: 012 (Duodecim) Final Fantasy (PSP, Square Enix): 21.741 / 403.912 (-30%)
- Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP, Capcom): 16.444 / 4.401.653 (+11%)
- Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (3DS, Level 5): 16.294 / 242.649 (-12%)
- Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity (PSP, SEGA): 14.403 / 300.418 (-11%)
- Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog / Shiba / Toy Poodle & New Friends (3DS, Nintendo): 13.219 / 160.742 (-10%)
- SD Gundam G Generation: World (PSP, Bandai Namco): 10.160 / 283.802 (-29%)
- Pokemon Black / White (DS, Pokemon Co.): 10.025 / 5.127.678 (+16%)